Daregal Gourmet fresh frozen herbs review - Our Daily Green

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Daregal Gourmet fresh frozen herbs review

This week, Our Daily Green received our sampler of Daregal Gourmet fresh frozen herbs to review as a part of a Blog Friendly PR campaign. All opinions are our own and no compensation was received.


We were asked to create a recipe using the fresh frozen herbs. Timing was perfect as it seemed like all my tomatoes were ripe at the same time. I also had several peppers to use as well. The onion and garlic are from a local market, and of course the parsley is from Daregal Gourmet. We have a busy family so I do a lot of pre-cooking on the weekends for the week ahead. Yesterday, I made the sauce for chicken cacciatore. 

Garden Cacciatore Sauce


Here is the adapted recipe: 

Olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan
1 large onion, thickly sliced
1 bell pepper, thickly sliced
random sweet Italian peppers (because I had them)
salt and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
2 cloves fresh garlic, sliced
3 cups diced, fresh tomatoes
1 tbl. oregano
Daregal parsley as finishing ingredient



Heat the oil in the pan until a drop of water sizzles, add the onion, fresh peppers, and salt & pepper. Saute over medium-high heat until the onion collapses and starts to brown.
 While the onion & pepper is cooking, dice the tomato. Although many recipes also call for mushrooms, my family doesn't care for them, so I add mine separately when I serve the meal.
 Add the tomatoes, garlic, and oregano and stir until the tomatoes start to break down.
After about 10 minutes, the recipe will start to resemble a sauce. Cover the top with the frozen Donegal parsley. Look how green and vibrant it is!
As I stated, I actually plan to use this sauce later in the week with boneless chicken pieces. I will dredge the chicken in flour, salt and pepper, and brown each piece, then I will put the chicken in a crock pot with the sauce to simmer all day.

But for the purposes of this recipe and review, I wanted to show how beautiful the finished sauce looks and served a tiny portion over pasta.



I received an assortment of herbs to review from Daregal Gourmet, as well as an herbal tea infusion. I will be reviewing the tea at a later date. The herbs are going to be really nice over the winter when I don't have a garden at my doorstep. I also appreciate that the frozen herbs will stay fresh longer than fresh ones. One caveat is that the herbs tended to clump together and you will need to shake the boxes really well before you use them in a recipe. I was very pleased with the color of the herbs, so much more appetizing than dried herbs in a jar, even the ones I dry myself still wind up a drab green. The fresh frozen method really makes the herbs the next best thing to fresh, with a much longer shelf life, up to 3 years. The price is comparable to the dried jarred herbs. I highly recommend this product for anyone who appreciates fresh herbs but cannot always find them in season.

Daregal Gourmet herbs are available on Amazon.com and in the Northeast region at Stop n Shop, Giant Landover, and Shaws.


No comments :