No Fast Food Challenge Day #8 - Our Daily Green

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

No Fast Food Challenge Day #8

We are in the homestretch of our 10 days. It's been pretty easy, but not totally. Part of the ease was mindfulness. Thinking ahead. Preparation. And that takes time, although, we have to admit, it's a lot easier taking a block of preparation time than scrambling at the last minute to figure out what to feed the family.

This is what a lot of folks call investment cooking. It's a brilliant idea to spend a day cooking for a month instead of in piece meal. It's efficient. I have done investment cooking on a smaller scale. I've made 5 pounds of ground beef into meatballs. I've cooked a soup in a double batch and frozen half. I did that yesterday with my lettuce wrap fillings.  But to set aside one day a month cooking and freezing food, with the idea that it will be a quick dinner sometime in the next 30 days is one I wholly endorse it.

As much as I love cooking, there are days I just am not in the mood. Those are the sort of days that would be best served by a meal in the freezer that I made on a day I was in the mood to cook. Investment cooking is a way to ensure a home cooked meal even when you don't have the time or inclination to cook at home.

Freezer Cole Slaw

One of the most intriguing recipes I've found is for Freezer Cole Slaw, from the Organized Home website. Wow, how interesting is that?  I will not say that I've tried it, but instead say that now I want to. Basically, today's post about investment/freezer cooking was to inspire you to think ahead about your meals. But how great would it be to have a crisp salad ready to go, straight from the freezer? How many folks have tried something like this?

Meanwhile, while we contemplate Freezer Cole Slaw, I have two meatloafs I need to prepare. One for tonight, and one for the freezer. So the next time I'm not in the mood to cook, I just have to heat and eat. Fast food, without the garbage or lack of nutrition.

Without further ado,

Freezer Cole Slaw

Ingredients

1medium cabbage head --about 10 cups shredded
1carrot, shredded
1green pepper
1Teaspoonsalt
1Cupvinegar
2Cupsugar
1Teaspooncelery seed
1Teaspoondry mustard

Instructions

In a large bowl, combine shredded vegetables and salt. Let stand for 1 hour.
Place remaining ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil for 1 minute. Cool.
Drain vegetables and add vinegar mix. Stir gently.
Freeze in tightly-sealed freezer containers.
To serve, thaw and serve chilled.



No comments :