Playful Planet Green - Our Daily Green

Monday, April 11, 2011

Playful Planet Green

Over the weekend, Our Daily Green was thrilled to have two small house guests. Our little nephew and niece are almost 2 and almost 5 and their visit was the perfect opportunity to test a fabulous children's yoga video that was provided to us by our friends at Playful Planet. My nephew chose the 18 minute Save the Whale yoga adventure and healthy fun ensued.

We were particularly happy with the earth-friendly packaging of the DVD made from simple recycled cardboard. How a product is packaged is a good indication and first impression of a company's true commitment to the environment.

Storyland Yoga: Interactive Family Fun (ages 3 to 8)Snippets of colorful cartoons and an engaging video instructor captured his attention. There were moments as an adult I found the dialog slightly idealistic. The instructor had everyone pretend to drive their electric cars to the beach. I respect having a positive and encouraging message, even if somewhat idealistic. Their commitment to earth friendly living is appreciated.

cutest children ever
Riding a surf board
My nephew was engaged and enthusiastic from the very first minute of the video. His baby sister imitated him, but it was slow and gentle enough, that it was even enjoyable for someone younger than the recommended age  range of 3-8. At the very end of the video, Ahmed Fahmy (the instructor) announced that this would help with muscles and my nephew looked at me proudly with a flexed arm. Perfect motivation!

Yoga Shark
The Shark

The video labels traditional yoga poses after animals or actions that fit into the plot line. For example, the upward facing dog becomes a seal and the warrior pose becomes surfing. Shortly after our brief exercise session, they were stretched out for stories and fell asleep to dream about the day they rescued the whale with their aunt.

The following day, I asked my nephew to show me how the shark looked and you can see how effective the video was by the attached photos. Overall, I recommend the video for anyone looking for a more simple, interactive, fun way to encourage exercise and stretching without over-stimulating small children. The exercises are simple and fun, yet effective. 

a small preview of the video
Our Daily Green received a copy of the Storyland Yoga video to review for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we use personally and believe will be good for our readers. We disclose this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions 16 CFR, Part 255 Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. Tomoson Product review giveaway disclosure.

2 comments :

Monica said...

I love all the yoga ideas! We recently had a parent come lead yoga for our preschoolers at The Nature Preschool and they LOVED IT!

As always, I can count on you for fun posts. That's why I've got a blogger award for you! Stop by my blog to pick it up on my next post! www.mamabirdwhatstheword.blogspot.com

FreshGreenKim said...

Thank you, Mama Bird! I'm humbled and thrilled!